Thursday, 14 May 2009


Rory is continuing to do well and is totally settled in at home. We are getting used to each others little quirks lol .... for instance. Every morning after our walk and after he has eaten his breakfast Rory feels he has to get reaquainted with all his toys. He usually only has 3 in the living room. His ragger, a ball and his teddy. All 3 get picked up and shaken and tossed around, then he usually picks on one to be carried around in his mouth for a while. It's very funny and happens every morning,. At other times he will bring the toy to you for you to play with him, but first thing in the morning he is happy to do his own thing with them lol


He is behaving extremely well in my lipreading class, and I can concentrate on teaching and not have to worry what he is doing. He has his own spot in front of the windows where he lies the entire time. The window is floor to ceiling and I think he likes lying there and looking outside. Even at our break time he doesn't move until I tell him it's ok. My class know not to give him and biccie treats, but he does get 2 small doggy treats while we have our tea/coffee.


It was Rorys second birthday on May 6th. We had got him a couple of Jumbones and I loosely wrapped them in birthday paper. He knew there was something yummy in there and had a good try at getting the paper off with his nose !


We have just lost another frisbee, not literally. We were at the park and I'm afraid my throwing skills leave a lot to be desired. Rory doesn't mind as long as the Frisbee goes up in the air then he is having a great time lol ... As I threw it however, instead of being horizontal it went vertically so when it landed it started rolling - and rolled right through the railings of the park and into the path of a car ! It actually could have been quite nasty and gave me a scare but it went under the car then run over by the back wheel. Rory stood at his side of the fence and gazing at it ! I had to get him to stay while I went and rescued it as it was still in the middle of the road. It was pretty badly mangled but Rory was only interested in me throwing it for him again. Well I can blame the shape of it for the reason it doesn't fly right anymore ! So we will be getting another frisbee today.


Ironically I had just bought a frisbee yesterday morning for Rorys cousin Nacho (jack russell). Nacho had "the" op yesterday so it was a little something to cheer him up when he is feeling better.


We are going to have a practice run through of all Rorys sounds today. I usually do one or two every day but we will have a blitz of them while Gordon is home later. Over the weekend the phone rang while we were in bed and although Rory came to the bed he didn't come up on it. So we need to practice that. When we are in the living room or kitchen when the phone rings he is very fast off the mark - so again I think its that getting up onto the bed that he is still not 100% happy with. We do the smoke alarm once a week so will throw that in today too. He will be a busy boy this afternoon and weather permitting we will go to the Links for a runaround after we are done.


I had a hospital appointment on Tuesday and we went in my sisters car. The boot of her car is much higher than our Yaris (which Rory can step into if he wants). So it was quite funny watching him leap into her car and I had to do it with the incentive of a doggy treat!
I think he has to work on that "smile for the camera" pose lol

3 comments:

  1. He is getting on so well Moira. At least he didn't chase after the frisbee that could have been so dangerous!! Hope his sounds went well. Maybe he's confused about getting on the bed. Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Moira, just had a peak at your blog - wow what a boy you have there! I take it you will have to part with him at some point though? Lovely photos of him too. :) Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Lesley that he still seems confused about getting onto the bed. He knows he doesn't get on any other furniture so probably that is what is confusing him. Oh well, we will keep practicing and enouraging him :)

    Julie - Oh nooooooooo... won't have to part with him. I am deaf and he is mine :) .. Well technically he will always belong to Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, but he will live with me :)

    ReplyDelete