Saturday, 18 April 2009

Wet fun !



The weekend ! yay !




I wanted to visit my favourite local craft shop in Monifieth. I think it was a real test of patience for Rory while I browsed all the lovely things for sale there. The shop is very well laid out as it has disabled access, the owner is in a wheelchair. This also means that there is plenty of room for Rory in the aisles. He is very good though and will sit very close to me so that he doesn't get in anyones way.


Also a test of patience for Gordon lol . To my mind it wasn't a very long visit, although I still managed to spend a fair amount ! I did get some lovely papers though so I was happy.




Then we went for a cup of coffee.




We had already planned to stop in Arbroath on the way home to give Rory a run on the West Links. Thats a huge expanse of grass running adjacent to the beach. It's also home to a large childrens play area and paddling pool, and a miniature railway, bus and fire engine.




The day wasn't very sunny but it was quite warm and not windy. There were a lot of people about and a LOT of dogs. The most Rory has probably seen all in one place !




He got very excited when we took him out of the car and he saw his frisbee. He insists on carrying it. He was soon enjoying himself chasing it down ! I have to say that neither Gordon or I are very good frisbee throwers but Rory doesn't seem to mind.




We met quite a selection of other dogs, large and small. Most of the time Rory was happy to go and "meet and sniff" then return to his frisbee. However, one couple with a black labrador had a toy that Rory took a fancy to! It was actually just a tennis ball but there was a thrower type thing with it. Anyhow, as the man threw it Rory and the other lab both took off and Rory got there first ! The other dog wasn't very happy lol Rory did run back to the man with the ball though ! He wanted another go ! We couldn't tempt him away at all with his frisbee so I actually had to go and get him by the collar. Even after we were quite a way away he was still watching !




There was a lot going on and I wouldn't have blamed Rory for being distracted. There was the miniature bus driving around, a couple of kids with remote controlled cars, assorted dogs and kids running and shouting. He wasn't fazed by any of it.




He seemed to tire a bit and was happy to walk alongside us carrying the frisbee. He got a little ahead of us and turned into where the childrens outdoor paddling pool was. As we got there I realised what had attracted him. There were 2 dogs playing in the pool, and Rory was just about to go in ! Let me say here that the pool was only filled with rain water and there were no kids in it. He was soon frollicking about One of the other dogs had acquired a shoe and was having all sorts of fun tossing that around and barking at it. Rory discovered his frisbee didn't float and that he couldn't get it back without putting his head in the water lol




It was fun watching them have a good time, oblivious to everyone watching them. I'm not sure when the clean out and fill up the paddling pool for the kids but we will have to make sure Rory doesn't make a beeline for it next time we are there.
I wasn't surprised that when we got home he found his favourite spot in front of the fire. However, I have never seen a dog "nod off" like he did! You know when you are trying NOT to sleep and your eyes close anyway? Then your head sort of drops and that's enough to wake you. Well that's exactly what he was doing :) After it happened 4 or 5 times he finally lied down and got comfortable. Erm ... Gordon did the same thing on the couch and soon both of them were having naps.
Have to see if we can find one of those ball thrower thingies :) - he is sooooooo spoilt lol

2 comments:

  1. Well done Rory he is really coming on. My friend has one of those thrower things for the tennis ball and it certainly makes things easier. I'm rubbish throwing so it helps a great deal. It is lovely to catch up on how Rory is getting on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get one ?

    Luv Harry XX

    ReplyDelete